This is the time of year when most folks take time out from the hustle of the holiday season, Christmas, New Year and what ever non believers celebrate, the winter solstice I would guess, and think about their life. What was good, what was bad, have I met my goals for the year, for this stage of life. We tend to look back and remember things we wish we could forget, and the warm memories from years past.
As we age we tend to dwell on our early years. I hate to because even though I came from a loving family, we were dirt poor, and when I think of my childhood, I think of winter and the cold weather. Walking through cold and snow to go to church early in the mornings, going through snow to get to school. Snow days were not in our school districts list of things to have. If we went some place we had to walk to get there. The Middle West is like the North Pole in my mind. Food was simple but good, how Mom kept us fed and clothed I will never understand.
I grew up in a four room shack with a two holer out back. We got our water from a pump in the back porch. Life was hard for my mother, but we played by the rules and grew up with a strong faith in God.
The America I see today may have much more in material goods, but I see a lack of faith in God, and our government has let our people down. I wonder if we were better off in the days of old, or in modern America. Winter in Wisconsin does that to a person, makes one remember the bad times and makes life miserable. I hate winter.
Winter kills people in many ways. Ice covered roads, people without money to heat their homes, SAD, as well as regular depression. Winter in the cold part of America sucks. Spring can't come soon enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment